Excavations in Northeast Greece, 1968-1970. Volume 2: The Final Report.
Edited by Ernestine S. Elster and Colin Renfrew
Recipient of the Jo Anne Stolaroff Cotsen Prize Volume 2 presents the concluding research on Sitagroi, a prehistoric settlement mound in northeastern Greece, excavated between 1968 and 1970. This volume offers a detailed report on the plant remains along with a full treatment of craft and technology: artifacts of adornment; tools of bone and flaked stone; artifacts and tools of bone and ground and polished stone (and petrology); tools of the spinner, weaver and mat maker; pottery technology; metallurgy; and special clay finds such as seals, miniatures, and utensils. This rich presentation offers unparalleled insights into the life of the prehistoric inhabitants of the area. Sitagroi now becomes one of the most comprehensively published sites from prehistoric Europe and will be indispensable for all those concerned with European prehistory.
Ernestine S. Elster of the UCLA Cotsen Institute of Archaeology, was a member of the excavation team at Sitagroi. Colin Renfrew of the McDonald Institute for Archaeological Research at Cambridge University was co-director of the Sitagroi excavations.
New Titles List
Ernestine S. Elster
- The Archaeology of Grotta Scaloria - Ritual in Neolithic Southeast Italy
- The Archaeology of Solvieux - An Upper Paleolithic Open Air Site in France
- A Bronze Age Landscape in the Russian Steppes - The Samara Valley Project
- Chinese Archaeological Abstracts, 2 - Prehistoric to Western Zhou
- The Desert Fayum Reinvestigated - The Early to Mid-Holocene Landscape Archaeology of the Fayum North Shore, Egypt
- Early Athens - Settlements and Cemeteries in the Submycenaean, Geometric and Archaic Periods
- The Early Iron Age Cemetery at Torone
- The Excavation of the Prehistoric Burial Tumulus at Lofkend, Albania
- Formative Lifeways in Central Tlaxcala, Volume 1 - Excavations, Ceramics, and Chronology
- The History and Archaeology of Jaffa 1
- The History and Archaeology of Jaffa 2
- K'axob - Ritual, Work, and Family in an Ancient Maya Village
- Last House on the Hill - BACH Area Reports from Catalhoyuk, Turkey
- Light and Shadow - Isolation and Interaction in the Shala Valley of Northern Albania
- New Insights into the Iron Age Archaeology of Edom, Southern Jordan
- The Plain of Phaistos - Cycles of Social Complexity in the Mesara Region of Crete
- Prehistoric Sitagroi - Excavations in Northeast Greece, 1968-1970. Volume 2: The Final Report.
- Rural Archaeology in Early Urban Northern Mesopotamia - Excavations at Tell al-Raqa'i
- The Sydney Cyprus Survey Project - Social Approaches to Regional Archaeological Survey
- Tangatatau Rockshelter - The Evolution of an Eastern Polynesian Socio-Ecosystem