The Photographs of the American Palestine Exploration Society
Illustrated in b/w with 15 figures and 180 plates.
This volume includes over 150 never previously published photographs of archaeological sites in the Middle East (Jordan, Lebanon, Syria, and Israel) taken in 1875 by photographer Tancrede Dumas for the American Palestine Exploration Society.
The volume additionally tells the complete history of the American Palestine Exploration Society, which functioned in the 1870s and worked together with the British Palestine Exploration Fund to survey and map archaeological sites in Ottoman Palestine. The interaction of the two societies is examined, and Dumas's photographs are put into a comparative context alongside those of contemporaries such as Bonfils.
These photographs preserve the appearance of many of these sites when they were first seen by westerners, before urban development and tourism changed the nature of the regions. Photographs include the ruins of Baalbek, Jerash, parts of Jerusalem, and numerous other sites.
Chapter 1: A Brief History of the American Palestine Exploration Society, 1870-1880
Chapter 2: Archaeological Photography and the Photography of Tancrède Dumas in Context
Chapter 3: The Itinerary of the 1875 Expedition
Chapter 4: APES Plans for its Photographs, and a History of the Extant Photographic Collections
Catalogue: The Dumas Photographs from the 1875 Expedition
Appendix A: Cross-Reference of Photographic Collections
Appendix B: List of American Palestine Exploration Society Staff and Committee Members in 1875
Appendix C: The 1873 Firman and its Translation
Appendix D: Archival Documents in the Collection of the Palestine Exploration Fund relating to the American Palestine Exploration Society.
'The Photographs of the American Palestine Exploration Society is a solid and useful contribution to a growing field. This volume provides thoughtful and well-produced materials to enable the work to progress.' (Simon Goldhill, Bryn Mawr Classical Review March 5 2013)
Felicity Cobbing is Executive Secretary and Curator of The Palestine Exploration Fund in London.
New Titles List
Jeffrey A. Spurr
Annual of ASOR
- The Archaeology of Agro-Pastoralist Economies in Jordan - ASOR Annual 69
- Archaeology of Difference - Gender, Ethnicity, Class and the Other in Antiquity - Studies in Honor of Eric M. Meyers, AASOR 60-61
- The Archaeology of the Ostraca House at Israelite Samaria - Epigraphic Discoveries in Complicated Contexts - ASOR Annual 70
- ASOR Annual 59 - Pt. 1, Results of the 2001 Kerak Plateau Early Bronze Age Survey : Pt. 2, Two Early Alphabetic Inscriptions from the Wadi El- Hol
- Bayt Farhi and the Sephardic Palaces of Ottoman Damascus in the Late 18th and 19th Centuries
- Crossroads and Boundaries - The Archaeology of Past and Present in the Malloura Valley, Cyprus, AASOR 65
- Kataret es-Samra, Jordan
- The Middle Bronze Age IIA Cemetery at Gesher - Final Report, AASOR 62
- The Nabataean Temple at Khirbet et-Tannur, Jordan, Volume 1 - Architecture and Religion. Final Report on Nelson Glueck’s 1937 Excavation, AASOR 67
- The Nabataean Temple at Khirbet et-Tannur, Jordan, Volume 2 - Cultic Offerings, Vessels, and other Specialist Reports. Final Report on Nelson Glueck’s 1937 Excavation, AASOR 68
- The Near East in the South West - Essays in Honor of William G. Dever, AASOR 58
- The Photographs of the American Palestine Exploration Society - AASOR 66
- Preliminary Excavation Reports and Other Archaeological Investigations - Tell Qarqur, Iron I Sites in the North Central Highlands of Palestine, AASOR 56
- Reflections of Empire - Archaeological and Ethnographic Perspectives on the Pottery of the Ottoman Levant and Beyond, AASOR 64
- Views from Phlamoudhi, Cyprus - AASOR 63