The Smyrna Quay (Greek language edition)
Tracing a symbol of progress and splendour
The Smyrna Quay presents the buildings of this legendary 3 km-long strip of land on the waterfront of the Ottoman port city of Smyrna as a continuous architectural, topographic and historical ensemble.
The Quay became an iconic symbol of Smyrna (modern-day Izmir), synonymous with the progress, cosmopolitanism and wealth of its inhabitants, throughout the 47 years period which spanned its existence, from its completion in August 1875 to September 1922. It was then that this glorious sight was lost in the aftermath of the Greco-Turkish war (1919-1922), after the recapture of Smyrna by the Kemalist forces and the Great Fire that followed.
Most of the Quay buildings were destroyed by fire, and many of those that escaped the fire fell prey to the reconstruction of the city. Very little of the original waterfront remains intact.
The authors have used commercial and travel guides, maps and postcards, as well as computer tools, in order to digitally restore the façades of all buildings of the Smyrna Quay to their original appearance. These reconstructed images form the core of this book.
They have studied hundreds of Quay postcards and panoramas, depicting grand mansions, theatres, cafés, consulates, clubs and hotels, as well as the bustling port, administration buildings and agencies. All these showed aspects of the public and private life in an Anatolian city, where the European west wind blew strongly for centuries. Particular attention is paid to the lives of the inhabitants of the Quay - a dynamic, multi-ethnic society.
Original research using new techniques shows Smyrna’s Quay as it was. Illustrations include architectural plans and reconstructions as well as photographs and photomosaics. 620 illustrations, 140 drawings. 2-volume set, paperback, slip-cased.
Volume 1: Residential and Recreational Sections, 396pp; Volume 2: Commercial and Administrative Sections, 356pp. Greek language text.
Volume I Residential and Recreational Sections
Abbreviations And Conventions
Chronological Table Of Key Events
The Residential Section Of The Smyrna Quay (A1-K2)
A1-A3 – Cafés In Punta
B0 – ‘Eden’ Sea Baths
B1 – Tram Depot
B2 – Café ‘Mimikos’ (Ex ‘Eden’)
C1-C6 – Residencies
D1-D9 – Residencies
E1-E7 – Residencies
F1-F15 – Residencies
G1-G17 – Residencies
H1-H8 – Residencies
H9 – ‘Nea Skini’ Theater (Ex Café ‘Bella Vista’)
I1-I17 – Residencies
I18 – ‘Pallas’ Cinema
J1 – ‘Lux’ Cinema
J2-J18 – Residencies
K1-K2 – Residencies
The Recreational Section Of The Smyrna Quay (K3-O1)
K3 – Théatre De Smyrne
K4 – French Consulate
L1 – Brasserie ‘Alhambra’
L2 – Sporting Club
L3 – ‘Sporting’ Theater And Garden
M0 – Italian Girls’ School (‘La Centrale’)
M1 – Café ‘De Paris’ And Garden
M2 – Cinema ‘De Paris’
M3 – Brasserie ‘Asty’
M4 – ‘Kraemer’ Theater
M5 – ‘Pathé’ Cinema
M6-M9 – ‘Baliozian & Essayan’ Residential Complex
M10 – Iliadis Residence
M11 – Café ‘Neos Possidon’
M12 – Aliotti Mansion / Stergiadis’ Residence
M13 – Brasserie ‘Boston’
M14 – Hunters’ Club (‘Upper’)
N1 – New Hunters’ Club (‘Lower’)
N2 – ‘Gay’ / ‘Iris’ Theater
N3 – Hotel De La Ville & Café ‘Fotis’
N4 – Café ‘Panellinion’ / ‘Ivi’
N5 – Grand Hotel Kraemer Palace
N6-N8 – Brasseries ‘Budapest’, ‘Gratz’ & ‘Possidon’
N9 – Hotel ‘Smyrna Palace’
N10 – Hotel ‘Aïvali & Moschonissia’
N11 – ‘Messageries Maritimes’ Building
O1 – Grand Hotel Huck / Central Post Office
Volume II Commercial – Administrative Section
The Commercial – Administrative Section Of The Smyrna Quay (O0, 02-Z2)
O0 – ‘Pasaport’ Building
O2-O3 – Shipping Companies’ Offices
O4-O5 – Restaurant / Café
O6 – Grand Hotel De Londres
O7 – Hotel D’egypte
O8 – Rees Building
O9 – Café ‘Pera D’oro’
O10 – ‘Grand Hotel Central’
O11 – Hotel ‘La Turquie’
O12 – Hotel ‘La Patrie’
O13 – ‘Grand Hotel D’athènes’
O14 – Hotel ‘La Grande Bretagne’
P0 – ‘Hamidiye’ Pier
P1 – Hotel D’alexandrie
P2 – Hotel ‘La Constitution’
P3 – Hotel ‘Mikra Asia’
P4-P6 – Cafés / Restaurants
P7 – Pantaleon Agency
P8 – Ottoman Chamber Of Commerce
P9 – Hotel ‘Mytilini & Samos’
P10 – Hotel ‘Constantinople’
P11 –Hadji-Daoud Farkouh Building
P12 – ‘Grand Hotel Paradisos’
Q1 – Banco Di Roma
Q2 – Hotel ‘Ioannina’
Q3 – Hotel ‘Ipiros’
Q4 – ‘Régie’ Tobacco House
Q5 – Hotel ‘La Concorde’ / Smyrna Bourse
Q6 – Store / Baltatzi Residence
Q7 – Pantaleon Building
Q8 – Banque D’orient
R1 – Hotel ‘Lesbos & Kidonié’
R2 – Ottoman Public Dept Administration Building
R3 – Hotel ‘Roumeli’
R4 – Paterson & Co. Warehouse / Steam Mill
R5 – Hotel ‘Aegeon Pelagos & Karabourna’
R6 – Standard Oil Co. Offices
R7 – National Bank Of Turkey – British Trade Corporation Offices
R8 – Oriental Carpet Manufacturers Ltd Building
R9 – Maritime Agencies Building
S1 – National Bank Of Greeece
S2 – Baliozian & Essayan Hans
S3 – Tsangridis Warehouses
T1-T5 – Customs Warehouses
T6 – Smyrna Quais And Tramways Companies
T7 – Iosifoglou Han
T8 – Cafés – Taverns
U0 – Customs Building (Koumerki)
U1-U2-V1 – Smyrna-Aydin Railway Depot
V2 – Baliozoglou / Tuzla Han
V3 – Sadik Bey Han (Small)
W1 – Maxoudian Han
X1-X2 – Bakirdjian Bros. Warehouses
Y1 – Yali Mosque
Y2 – Administrative Building (‘Konak’)
Y3 – Clock Tower
Y4 – Konak Square Kiosk
Z1-Z2 – Imperial Barracks And Officers’ Club
1889 & 1936-7 Ownership Tables Of The Residential Section
The subject of this 2-volume book is the ‘Ki’ (Quay), the 3 km-long waterfront of Smyrna, which is treated as a single architectural, topographic and historical ensemble, yet divided into sections that greatly differ from each other.
Ten to fifteen years after the completion of the construction works, a long row of almost identical structures had already occupied the northern part of the Quay. These were residencies of middle- and upper class Smyrniot families, while some of them served at the same time as consulates of foreign countries. The parallel existence of very few recreation areas and cafés was rather an exception to the rule. It was through the use of all resources available that it became possible not only to digitally draw the building façades but also to discover the names and track the history of their occupants, the family trees of which were sometimes centuries old.
This urban landscape, work of highly esteemed Greek architects such as Vafeiadis, Petrokokkinos and Rambaonis, reflected order and harmony to an extent that was rather strange for Ottoman East, but so fitting to the European cities. The inevitable local adaptation of the latter’s enviable standards gave birth to a distinct type of residence: the ‘smyrniot’ house.
The residential section of the Quay survived the 1922 catastrophe to a great extent, thus becoming a point of reference and a symbol of continuity for Smyrna, now Izmir, only to be inevitably lost during the post-war (1950s-1970s) heavy reconstruction era.
Immediately to the south, the pre-1922 Quay had a totally different face, a more cosmopolitan and spectacular one. The impressive façades of cinemas, theaters, brasseries and grand hotels reflected the display of wealth and the joie de vivre mainly of the Greeks, Armenians and Levantines of Smyrna. The literally hundreds of postcards depicting these buildings, offered the opportunity to comprehend the successive phases that these edifices went through. Meanwhile, they also staged important moments of the city history, joyful as well as tragic ones. Forever engraved in the collective memory of several generations after 1922, the recreational section of the Quay symbolized Smyrna itself.
It is almost impossible to fully comprehend the importance that Smyrna had won by the early 20th century as a transit and international trade center of the eastern Mediterranean, without studying its port facilities and all those buildings erected in order to serve a wide range of functions indispensable for such a role.
A sign of progress per se, the port of Smyrna constituted also the ultimate expression of urban modernization, being a product not only of the 19th century’s technological advances but also of the city’s ever-growing potential. Adapting to this trend, the waterfront responded fast by hosting several office buildings, banks, warehouses, hotels, agencies, cafés and other relevant enterprises, all of which were thoroughly studied.
Through the use of commercial guides, newspapers, insurance maps and loads of imagery, it was possible to almost completely restitute not only the topography but also the history of Smyrna’s commercial life during the second half of the 19th century up to 1922. Magnificent spacious edifices revealed the financial strength of their owners as well as their will to dominate the city panorama. Standing next to these buildings, the ‘trademark’ coffeehouses with their open tents functioned as meeting and resting places for people arriving or doing business here. At the same time, since the vast majority of them belonged to members of the Greek community, they added a special color to the port of multinational Smyrna, typically found on the Aegean islands and mainland Greece.
Designed for a special purpose, administrative buildings such as the Chamber of Commerce, Bourse (Commodity Exchange), Ottoman Public Debt Administration, Port Authorities, Customs, and, last but not least, the monumental ensemble of the Konak square, all contemporary with the construction of the Quay or a few years younger, were fitting perfectly into the local framework, which dictated the use of eclecticism as a means of architectural expression.
Besides the port itself, there are very few samples of structures that have managed to survive the troubled past, only to become ‘islets’ amidst a completely changed landscape. Therefore, as necessary as such a reconstruction of the pre-1922 Quay may be, it is equally crucial in order to shed light on and understand the irrevocably gone ‘golden era’ of Smyrna.
George Poulimenos Born in Athens, he is a direct descendant of a Greek refugee family from the Kato Panaghia (now Ciftlik) village of Izmir.
Achilleas Chatziconstantinou is a geologist who studied Geographic Information Science at UCL, London.
620 illustrations 140 drawings