Sovereignty and Salvation in the Vernacular, 1050-1150
Das Ezzolied, Das Annolied, Die Kaiserchronik, vv. 247-667, Das Lob Salomons, Historia Judith
Edited by James A Schultz
These texts will be of interest because they represent a kind of writing - at the intersection of ecclesiastical and secular power, drawing on the whole range of medieval Latin learning, yet written in vernacular verse - that is not found elsewhere in the European Middle Ages. In addition, they may be of use in teaching since, although relatively short, they illustrate a great number of characteristic medieval ways of writing and can be linked to a number of quite remarkable historical figures.
Acknowledgments Foreward Bibliography Das Ezzolied / Ezzo's Song Strassburger Ezzolied / Earlier Fragmentary Version Vorauer Ezzolied / Later Expanded Version Das Annolied / Song of Anno Die Kaiserchronik / Chronicle of the Emperors vv. 247-667 Das Lob Salomons / In Praise of Solomon Historia Judith / The Story of Judith Die drei Junglinge im Feuerofen / The Three Youths in the Furnace Die altere Judith / The Earlier Story of Judith Notes
James A. Schultz is professor of German at the University of California, Los Angeles. He is the author of three previous books, including, most recently, The Knowledge of Childhood in the German Middle Ages, 1100-1350.
New Titles List
James A Schultz
TEAMS Medieval German Texts in Bilingual Editions
- Ava's New Testament Narratives - When the Old Law Passed Away
- Der Welsche Gast (The Italian Guest)
- History as Literature - German World Chronicles of the Thirteenth Century in Verse, Excerpts from: Rudolf von Ems, Weltchronik, The Christherre-Chronik, Jans Enikel, Weltchronik
- Ladies, Whores, and Holy Women - A Sourcebook in Courtly, Religious, and Urban Cultures of Late Medieval Germany
- Neidhart - Selected Songs from the Riedegg Manuscript: Berlin, Staatsbibliothek Preussischer Kulturbesitz, mgf 1062
- Sovereignty and Salvation in the Vernacular, 1050-1150 - Das Ezzolied, Das Annolied, Die Kaiserchronik, vv. 247-667, Das Lob Salomons, Historia Judith