Olimpia kai olimpiaki agones
Greek language text
The first systematic excavations in the sanctuary of Olympia lasted for six years, from 1975 to 1881. Dimitris Papageorgiou's book was published in 1890 and is the first guidebook in Greek for the antiquities of Olympia. It is remarkable that it was written before the completion of the German publication of the excavation (1897).
This is a pioneering work in which the author did not confine himself to describing the monuments, but dealt with the history and the description of the contests, as well as with the organization in antiquity of the Olympic Games, which were to be revived six years later, in 1896.
Greek language. 45 b&w illustrations, including fold-out map of Olympia.
DIMITRIOS G. PAPAGEORGIOU Classicist