The Late Bronze Age Pottery from Field Xiii at Shechem / Tell Balatah
Edited by Catherine A. Duff and Edward F. Campbell
Substantial ceramic and architectural remains attributable to the Late Bronze Age were excavated in Field XIII in 1968 by the Drew-McCormick Expedition.
The Late Bronze Age sequence spanning the Late Bronze I, IIA, and IIB contains ceramics from occupational contexts and also from a cache of 850 restorable and complete vessels from a Basement Chamber sealed below destruction debris. This analysis provides data on the ceramic typological development and the technological processes or chaîne opératoire at a Northern Hill Country site. While mostly domestic in nature, the ceramic assemblage also comprises imported Cypriot White Slip and Base Ring Wares that place the territorial kingdom, governed by the ambitious ruler Lab'ayu, within a wider regional trade system encompassing the Dothan-Jezreel and Beth Shean Valley routes.
The findings from this investigation align with recent scholarship that shows the early Late Bronze I was defined by contracted settlement over a protracted period of time, in contrast to the architectural and ceramic complexity exhibited in the Late Bronze IIA, and to a limited extent in the Late Bronze IIB.
This report continues the effort to publish the excavation findings from ten seasons of excavations spanning 1957 to 1972 and originally led by Expedition Director G. Ernest Wright. 33 b&w illustrations and 33 tables.
List of Illustrations
List of Tables and Appendices
Chapter 1 Introduction
Chapter 2 The Late Bronze Age Ceramics and Stratigraphy in Field XIII
Chapter 3 The Late Bronze Age Ceramic Typology
Chapter 4 Petrography of some Late Bronze Age Ceramics in Field XIII
Chapter 5 Cultural and Historical Conclusions
Pottery Plates and Descriptive Tables
Plates 1-32: Stratum XIV
Plates 33-68: Stratum XIII
Plates 69-110: Stratum XII
Basement Plates 1-58: Stratum XIII
Editor: Catherine A. Duff is a Research Associate at the University of Toronto and a member of the Board of Trustees for (ASOR).
Series Editor:Emeritus Professor Edward F. Campbell, Jr. has been a member of the core staff of the Joint Expedition to Tell Balatah/Shechem since 1957, more recently as Director and Publication Officer for the Expedition. Now in retirement In Scarborough, Maine, he was from 1956 until 1997 a teacher of Old Testament and Biblical Interpretation at McCormick Theological Seminary in Chicago. A Vice-President of the American Schools of Oriental Research, he has contributed two volumes of the Shechem Expedition final reports, and edited three others.
New Titles List
Catherine A. Duff
Edward F. Campbell
ASOR Archaeological Reports
- The Ayl to Ras an-Naqab Archaeological Survey, Southern Jordan 2005-2007
- Cyprus and the Balance of Empires - Art and Archaeology from Justinian I to the Coeur de Lion
- Engendering Aphrodite - Women and Society in Ancient Cyprus
- Humayma Excavation Project, 1 - Resources, History and the Water-Supply System
- Humayma Excavation Project, 2 - Nabatean Campground and Necropolis, Byzantine Churches, and Early Islamic Domestic Structures
- The Joint Expedition to Caesarea Maritima Excavation Reports - Field O: The Synagogue Site
- The Joint Expedition to Caesarea Maritima Excavation Reports - The Coins and the Hellenistic, Roman and Byzantine Economy of Palestine
- Khirbat Iskandar - Final Report on the Early Bronze IV Area C Gateway and Cemeteries
- The Mithraeum at Caesarea Maritima - The Joint Expedition to Caesarea Maritima Excavation Reports Vol II
- Pyla-Koutsopetria I - Archaeological Survey of an Ancient Coastal Town
- The Roman Aqaba Project - Final Report, Volume 1: The Regional Environment and the Regional Survey
- The Roman Marble Sculptures from the Sanctuary of Pan at Caesarea Philippi/Panias (Israel)
- The Shammakh to Ayl Archaeological Survey, Southern Jordan 2010-2012
- Shechem I - The Middle Bronze IIB Pottery
- Shechem III - The Stratigraphy and Architecture of Shechem/Tell Balatah: Two Volume Set
- Shechem IV - The Persian-Hellenistic Pottery of Shechem/Tell Balat'ah
- Shechem V - The Late Bronze Age Pottery from Field Xiii at Shechem / Tell Balatah
- Sotira Kaminoudhia - An Early Bronze Age Site in Cyprus
- The Tafila-Busayra Archaeological Survey 1999-2001, West-central Jordan
- Tel Tanninim - Excavations at Krokodeilon Polis, 1996-1999
- Tell er-Rumeith - The Excavations of Paul W. Lapp, 1962 and 1967